Homemade Aioli is so easy and quick to make and tastes great with veggies or burgers! Check out my foolproof way to make this garlic lemon sauce at home.
Make a paste from the Garlic cloves by using one of the methods below.
In a medium bowl, combine garlic paste, egg yolks, lemon juice, dijon mustard, salt, sugar, and cayenne pepper. Mix with a hand mixer set on medium speed.
With the hand mixer set to high, slowly pour in the oil, mixing continuously.
When all the oil is added, keep mixing until the aioli thickens and gets paler (see picture), about 2 more minutes. Fill into a container and use right away or refrigerate for a few hours, so it thickens more.
Store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- This recipe makes about 1 cup of Aioli sauce.
- To make the garlic paste you can use a mortar and pestle, a Microplane grater, or coarsely chop the garlic with a knife, then sprinkle with 1/2 tsp of salt and mince until it is smooth.
- The aioli will get firmer when chilled! Don’t worry if it doesn't look as thick after whisking; it should roughly keep its shape but will firm up more in the fridge.
- Dijon mustard helps with emulsification and adds color. Feel free to leave it out if you're not a fan or don't have it on hand.
- I recommend using light olive oil! Extra virgin olive can make the sauce overly bitter. If you don't have light olive oil, you can use 1/2 cup and 2 Tbsp vegetable oil and 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, this way you get the flavor without the bitterness.
- Make sure your eggs are fresh, stored in the fridge, and free of cracks. You can also use pasteurized eggs or egg yolks, if it makes you more comfortable.
- Store the finished sauce in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. I use these glass containers (affiliate link).
If you're short in time or short on eggs, try this easy recipe:
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and season with a little bit of salt to taste.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp olive oil, or use olive oil mayonnaise
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced to a paste
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
Calories: 196kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 49mg | Sodium: 152mg | Potassium: 5mg | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 65IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 6mg | Iron: 1mg