Homemade Aioli is so easy and quick to make and tastes great with veggies or burgers! Check out my foolproof way to make this garlic lemon sauce at home.
- 1-2 garlic clove made into a paste
- 2 large egg yolks
- 4 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard optional
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup light tasting olive oil
Make a paste from the Garlic cloves by using one of the methods below.
In a medium bowl, combine garlic paste, egg yolks, lemon juice, dijon mustard, salt, sugar, and cayenne pepper. Mix with a hand mixer set on medium speed.
With the hand mixer set to high, slowly pour in the oil, mixing continuously.
When all the oil is added, keep mixing until the aioli thickens and gets paler (see picture), about 2 more minutes. Fill into a container and use right away or refrigerate for a few hours, so it thickens more.
Store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- The aioli will get firmer when chilled! Don’t worry if it doesn't look as thick after whisking; it should roughly keep its shape but will firm up more in the fridge.
- Dijon mustard helps with emulsification and adds color. Feel free to leave it out.
- I recommend using light olive oil! Extra virgin olive can make the sauce overly bitter. If you don't have light olive oil, you can use 1/2 cup and 2 Tbsp vegetable oil and 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, this way you get the flavor without the bitterness.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge. I use Weck glasses.
Calories: 196kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 49mg | Sodium: 152mg | Potassium: 5mg | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 65IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 6mg | Iron: 1mg