Kinderpunsch is a hot German drink that's served at Christmas markets! This non-alcoholic holiday punch is the kid's version of mulled wine.
- 4 cups water
- 4 tea bags berry or hibiscus
- 2 cups apple juice or grape juice
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 cloves
- 1 star anise
- ¼ cup sugar brown or white
- 1 tsp vanilla sugar or vanilla extract
- ½ lemon juice
- 1 orange sliced
In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Remove from heat, add tea bags and let steep for 5-8 minutes. Remove tea bags.
To the tea, add apple juice, spices, sugar, and vanilla sugar. Juice the lemon and slice the orange into fine slices. Add to the tea.
Let simmer on medium-low heat for 10 minutes. Don’t let it boil! Pour through a strainer and serve.
- Instead of apple juice, you can also use grape juice or orange juice. Just make sure the juice is not sweetened and is 100% juice otherwise it will be too sweet.
- Depending on the tea and juice you use the color of the drink will vary. Orange juice will make it cloudy for example.
- A fruity tea like hibiscus, berry or super fruit works best.
- You can reduce the amount of sugar if you prefer. I often only use half the amount and it is still sweet enough.
- You can also put the spices into a tea bag to make them easy to remove.
- Don't let the orange slices sit longer than 10 minutes in the punch or the bitterness of the pith will transfer to your beverage.
- Kinderpunsch can be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator.
Calories: 90kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 0.5g | Fat: 0.3g | Saturated Fat: 0.04g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.04g | Sodium: 12mg | Potassium: 145mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 56IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 37mg | Iron: 0.4mg