Cheese Spaetzle Recipe
Cheese Spaetzle (Käsespätzle) is the German version of Mac and Cheese! Made with homemade German egg noodles and Emmental cheese. This Bavarian dish is special enough for an Oktoberfest party but so easy that you can make it every day!
- 1.5 cups shredded Emmental cheese about 6 oz
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp chopped chives plus more for garnishing
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 4-5 cups Spaetzle
- Crispy Fried Onions
In a bowl combine shredded Emmental cheese, heavy cream, and chopped chives.
Melt the butter in a 9 or 10-inch cast iron pan over medium heat.
When the butter is hot add the spaetzle. Cook over medium-high heat until they're golden brown on the edges and slightly crispy.
Add the cheese mixture and stir until the cheese is melted and everything is evenly coated.
Put the pan under your broiler for about 1-2 minutes until the top is golden brown.
Take it out of the oven. Garnish with chopped chives and crispy fried onions.
- Spaetzle: You can make the spaetzle in advance and store them in the fridge for 1-2 days. Just toss them with some flavor-neutral oil before storing them.
- Cheese: It's worth buying the good stuff and grate it yourself! Emmentaler or Gruyere are my favorite.
- Cream: There are many ways to make cheese spaetzle but I like this version the most. Some recipes (especially non-Bavarian versions) only use cheese and no cream but we prefer it a bit creamier.
- Homemade vs. store-bought Spaetzle: Nothing compares to homemade Spaetzle but if you don't have time to make them from scratch you can also use store-bought dried spaetzle. One 17.6-ounce bag of German Egg Pasta (affiliate link) works well in this recipe. Cook the Spaetzle according to the package instructions in a large pot of salted water and drain them well before using them in this recipe.
- Toppings: Crispy fried onions and chopped chives are my favorites but you can also top the finished dish with crispy bacon bits, parsley, or Schmelzzwiebeln (golden soft onions made in butter).
Calories: 424kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 0.2g | Cholesterol: 74mg | Sodium: 732mg | Potassium: 123mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1008IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 335mg | Iron: 2mg