Crock Pot Ham and Bean Soup
Crock Pot Ham and Bean Soup is a classic winter favorite that is perfect for using leftover ham or ham bones from Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time6 hrs
Total Time6 hrs 10 mins
- 1 small yellow onion diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 tsp minced garlic 2 cloves
- 3 celery stalks diced (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 large carrots diced (about 1 cup)
- 6 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 1 pound dried Navy or Great Northern beans sorted of debris and rinsed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme chopped or 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary chopped or 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp salt more to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cups diced or shredded ham
- 1 meaty ham bone optional
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley chopped for serving
For extra flavor and softer onions: In a skillet or in the insert of your slow cooker you can brown in over medium-high heat, heat 1 Tbsp olive oil. Saute the onions for 3-4 minutes until softened and lightly browned. Add the garlic and saute for 20 seconds. Then add the chopped celery and carrots and saute for 4 minutes. Transfer to crockpot.
Stir together all the ingredients (except the parsley) in your slow cooker.
Cover and cook on high for about 5 hours or until beans are tender. If using a bone take the bone out, remove the meat, stir it into the soup, and discard the bone. Take out the bay leaves. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve garnished with parsley.
Calories: 402kcal | Carbohydrates: 60g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 27mg | Sodium: 1252mg | Potassium: 1406mg | Fiber: 16g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 3560IU | Vitamin C: 10.9mg | Calcium: 159mg | Iron: 5.3mg