Beef and Broccoli
Beef and Broccoli is easy, loaded with flavor, and has the best silky sauce!
For the Sauce:
- ¼ cup Oyster sauce
- ¼ cup Hoisin sauce (see below for alternative)
- ½ cup beef broth
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
For the Stir Fry:
- ¼ tsp salt or to taste
- ½ tsp pepper freshly ground
- 1 pound flank steak thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp peanut oil divided
- 3 cups broccoli florets bite-sized
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 ½ Tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 3 Tbsp of cold water
Combine all the ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl and set aside.
Season the beef with salt and pepper.
Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a large enough pan, add broccoli florets and 1/4 cup water to the pan. Cover and let simmer, for 2-3 minutes, until water has evaporated and the broccoli is almost tender and bright green. Remove broccoli from pan and set aside.
Add 1 Tbsp oil to the pan and spread out steak pieces in it. Fry for 2 minutes then flip and fry for another minute. Add minced garlic and ginger, cook 30 seconds more.
Pour in the sauce and toss to coat, bring to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes.
Remove from heat, stir in the cornstarch slurry, put back on heat and bring to a simmer. Add the broccoli back in and stir until sauce has thickened.
Serve over rice, sprinkled with sesame seeds.
- Use low sodium broth and low sodium soy sauce if you are sensitive to salt
- The brown sugar can be replaced with honey
- Freeze the flank steak for about 30 minutes to make it easier to slice
- Slice the flank steak thinly against the grain
- Use an oil with a high smoke point like avocado or peanut oil, don't use olive oil
- Make sure the pan is hot before you add the beef
- Use a large pan so you can spread out the beef in a single layer
- If you don't have hoisin sauce increase the oyster sauce to 1/3 cup and add 2 Tbsp of sugar instead of what the recipe calls for
- Adding the corn starch separate from the sauce lets you decide how thick you want the sauce
- You can also use chicken breasts instead of beef
Calories: 311.84kcal | Carbohydrates: 19.08g | Protein: 27.88g | Fat: 13.63g | Saturated Fat: 3.7g | Cholesterol: 68.56mg | Sodium: 1120.59mg | Potassium: 648.55mg | Fiber: 2.26g | Sugar: 7.89g | Vitamin A: 425.2IU | Vitamin C: 61.12mg | Calcium: 66.03mg | Iron: 2.58mg