Greek-Style Boiled Potatoes loaded with fresh Mediterranean flavors are the perfect side dish for holidays or family dinners! Feta, garlic, lemon, and fresh herbs take new potatoes to a whole new level of deliciousness. This is a side dish that wows AND is easy and quick to make!
Greek-Style Boiled Potatoes are always a hit in my house! They make a delicious side dish that’s easy to prepare, loaded with fresh flavors, and ready in only 15 minutes. Perfect for busy days or when you are making many side dishes at the same time.
A few years ago my husband wouldn’t touch potatoes unless they came in the shape of fries or mashed potatoes so I had to get creative because I love potatoes. Today, this is one of his favorite side dishes that he would devour all by himself if I’d let him.
New Potatoes are my potatoes of choice when the time is short. They don’t need to be peeled, just wash them, cut them in half, and cook them. They take only a few minutes to cook until they are fork tender. But this easy recipe takes simple, boring potatoes to a new level!
With the holidays right around the corner, these flavorful boiled potatoes with feta, lemon, and garlic would be a great addition to your dinner table!
What are new potatoes?
For this recipe, you need new potatoes. These are freshly harvested young potatoes that tend to be sweeter, have lots of moisture inside and a thin skin. They’re low-starch potatoes so they hold their shape better than other potatoes when boiled. New potatoes are perfect for potato salads or tossed with other ingredients as a side dish.
How long does it take to boil potatoes?
Whole new potatoes take about 10-15 minutes to boil until they’re fork-tender, halved new potatoes take about 8-10 minutes. To test poke the potato with a fork, paring knife, or skewer. They are done when the utensil slides easily all the way to the center.
What is Feta Cheese?
Feta cheese is a soft cheese from Greece. It is traditionally made from sheep’s milk. Some varieties are now made with goat’s milk or a mixture of the two. It’s a salty cheese that has a crumbly texture and is white in color with small holes. Don’t buy pre-crumbled feta, the taste and quality are not great! Opt for a large block of feta held in brine.
Are you looking for more easy side dish recipes?
- Parmesan Oven Roasted Green Beans
- Sauerkraut Mashed Potato Casserole
- Creamy Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Gorgonzola Potatoes au Gratin Recipe
You can find all my side & salad recipes here.
What is your favorite way to eat potatoes? Let me know in the comments below!
Greek-Style Boiled Potatoes Recipe
- 2 pounds new potatoes, halved
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Put the potatoes in a large saucepan and add cold water to cover by about an inch.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat then add 2 teaspoons salt, lower the heat, and let simmer until potatoes are tender, about 5 to 8 minutes depending on their size.
- In the meantime combine feta, garlic, parsley, lemon zest, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, and olive oil in a large bowl.
- Drain potatoes and add to the bowl. Toss to combine, adjust seasoning, and serve.