Chocolate Mousse Cake is every chocolate lover’s dream! This no-bake dessert is perfect for special occasions but so easy and quick to make from scratch. This easy mousse cake recipe will is a holiday favorite in our family!
Chocolate Mousse Cake
Chocolate Mousse Cake is made with only a few ingredients but tastes like the most decadent dessert. An Oreo crust with a rich chocolate mousse filling topped with more Oreos, whipped cream, and chocolate. This easy mousse cake will be your favorite chocolate dessert!
The perfectly light and airy chocolate mousse tastes absolutely divine! I could eat the whole bowl with a spoon (or maybe even without one). To be honest, I had to stop myself from eating it by the spoonful or there wouldn’t be any left for the actual cake. This cake is dangerous! Dangerously delicious!!
The mousse is not too sweet but totally decadent and melts in your mouth. It’s a bit similar to a French Silk pie, but lighter and without raw eggs, so everyone can enjoy it! And I love that you can make most of it in advance which makes it a perfect dessert for parties. But better reserve a slice for you before you put it out because this delicious cake is always gone in seconds!
Tips and Tricks for making this Chocolate Mousse Pie
- I use semi-sweet chocolate with about 50% cacao for this recipe because it has a nice balance of sweetness and chocolate. The range of sweetness in semisweet chocolates is huge and some brands are much sweeter than others, the percentage of cacao is a good indicator of the sweetness. The higher the percentage the less sweet the chocolate is.
- Chill or freeze the bowl and your whisk for a few minutes before making the whipped cream. This makes it easier to whip the cream into stiff peaks especially when it’s a hot day. I also take my heavy cream out of the fridge at the very last minute.
- This mousse cake needs to chill at least 6 hours or more depending on the size of your pan and the temperature of your fridge but I like to make it one day ahead and chill it overnight.
- You can make the Oreo crust and fill it with the chocolate mousse up to 2 days ahead. Refrigerate, covered. Decorate the cake just before serving.
- Instead of an Oreo Crust, you can also use coffee flavored cookies or chocolate wafer cookies.
- If you want to make this mousse pie in a 10-inch springform pan I recommend to use the 1.5 x amount of the ingredients (there is a little slider in the recipe card to make it easier). Because of the larger amount of ingredients I recommend chilling the cake overnight.
Tools I use for making this Chocolate Mousse Cake
Semi-Sweet Chocolate: I like to use this semi-sweet chocolate for my mousse cake. Using chocolate chips makes this recipe even easier because you don’t have to chop the chocolate. But sometimes I splurge and use my favorite high-quality chocolate.
Springform Pan: This pan is perfect for cheesecakes and mousse cakes.
Peeler: I use this peeler to make chocolate curls and shavings to decorate cakes or hot chocolate. Scrape the blade lengthwise across the chocolate bar to make curls and shavings.
WANT TO TRY THIS NO-BAKE CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPE?
PIN IT TO YOUR CAKE BOARD TO SAVE IT!
Follow Plated Cravings on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Chocolate Mousse Cake
For the Oreo Crust
- 25 Oreo cookies finely crushed
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter melted
For the Chocolate Mousse Filling
- 1 1/2 cups chopped semisweet chocolate
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch of salt
- 3 cups heavy cream divided
For the Decoration
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 3 Oreo cookies cut in half
- 1/3 cup chocolate shavings
- Butter a 9-inch springform pan.
- Combine finely crushed Oreo cookies and melted butter. Press into the bottom of the springform pan using the bottom of a flat measuring cup. Make sure it is compact. Chill for 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Combine the chopped chocolate, vanilla extract, and the salt in a medium bowl.
- In a small saucepan, bring 3/4 cup of the heavy cream to a bare simmer. Pour the cream over the chocolate, let sit for 1 minute, then whisk until smooth. Cover and chill in the fridge for about 20 minutes to cool.
- Beat 1 1/2 cups heavy cream in a medium bowl with a hand mixer or stand mixer on medium-high speed to stiff peaks, about 2 minutes. Whisk the chocolate mixture to loosen it then fold it into the whipped cream with a silicone spatula until no streaks remain.
- Scrape the chocolate mousse into the pan and gently spread it to the edges. Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, beat the remaining 3/4 cup of cream and 2 tbsp sugar with a hand mixer or stand mixer until the cream reaches stiff peaks. Pipe the borders of the cake using a large open star tip. Garnish with Oreo Cookie halves and chocolate shavings. This cake must stay refrigerated.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
If you’ve tried this or any other of my recipes, don’t forget to rate the recipe and to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you!