This post may contain affiliate links.Please read our disclosure policy.
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins are so easy to make from scratch with just the right balance of banana flavor and chocolate chips! They’re quick to mix up and come out fluffy and moist. This simple banana muffin recipe makes the perfect breakfast, snack or dessert.
These easy Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins are so tender and stay fresh and moist for days. Making them from scratch is super easy, you don’t need a mixer or fancy ingredients and if you make a double batch and freeze them you can enjoy them every day warm in the morning without much effort.
This banana chocolate chip muffin recipe was adapted from my extremely popular moist banana muffin recipe. That recipe has received so many rave reviews on my blog and on Pinterest, so I knew that I couldn’t go wrong using it as a base. My banana choc chip muffins are loaded with chocolate chips and made with three bananas, melted butter, and buttermilk which make them super moist and flavorful.
Looking for recipes for ripe bananas other than banana bread? Make these homemade chocolate chip banana bread muffins! My family loves them and they make a delicious little carb boost to get you through a busy day. Let me show you how easy and quick it is to make the best banana chocolate muffins without a box mix!
Tips and Tricks for Making Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- The riper your bananas are, the easier they will be to mash and the sweeter and more flavorful your banana muffins will be.
- Mash the bananas with a fork until they are well mashed with very few lumps remaining.
- Mixing by hand is preferred for this recipe because NOT using a mixer helps avoid over-mixing.
- This recipe calls for buttermilk. If you don’t have buttermilk on hand you can make your own by combining 1/4 cup of whole milk and 1 tsp lemon juice.
- Use any chocolate chips you prefer! Mini chocolate chips ensure there’s chocolate in each bite, but if all you have is regular size these will work too. Tip: Sprinkle a few chocolate chips on top of each muffin before you put the pan in the oven.
- To make healthy banana chocolate chip muffins reduce the amount of butter to 1/4 cup and add 1/4 cup of unsweetened applesauce to the batter and decrease the amount of sugar to 1/3 cup in total.
- To make mini banana chocolate chip muffins use a 24-count mini muffin pan and bake the muffins for 12-14 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean with only a few moist crumbs attached. Mini chocolate chips work best for mini muffins.
How to Freeze Banana Muffins with Chocolate Chips
To freeze these muffins let them cool down completely then put them in an airtight bag or container and freeze them for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator or on the counter and warm to your liking before serving.
Looking for more Recipes for ripe bananas?
- Banana Blueberry Muffins
- Best Banana Nut Bread Recipe
- Easy Banana Cake Recipe
- Double Chocolate Banana Muffins Recipe
Tools used for making these banana muffins with chocolate chips
Muffin Pan: I love this muffin pan! It comes with a lid so it’s easy to transport baked muffins or cupcakes and it’s super easy to clean, everything slides right off.
Chocolate Chips: According to America’s Test Kitchen these are the best chocolate chips!
Cookie Scoop: This scoop is perfect for portioning the muffins and quickly scooping without mixing the batter too much.
Want to try this Banana Chocolate Chip Muffin Recipe?
PIN IT TO YOUR BREAKFAST BOARD TO SAVE IT OR SHARE ON FACEBOOK!
Follow Plated Cravings on Pinterest for more great recipes!
[social_warfare buttons=”Pinterest, Facebook”]
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 medium bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl mash bananas then add melted butter and sugar. Whisk until combined.
- Add eggs, vanilla extract, and buttermilk.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, until a toothpick, inserted into the center, comes out with only a few moist crumbs attached.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
If you’ve tried this or any other of my recipes, don’t forget to rate the recipe and to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you!