Banana Crumb Muffins are so easy to make with just a few simple ingredients! These fluffy and moist muffins are topped with a delicious cinnamon-spiced streusel topping and make a great breakfast or after-school snack. A simple recipe that freezes beautifully and produces big, bakery-style banana muffins.
These banana muffins with crumb topping are one of my favorite breakfasts right now! When I think about the perfect banana crumb muffins this is exactly how I want them to be: big, bakery-style tops, a crunchy, slightly spiced topping, and a fluffy, moist interior with just the right amount of banana flavor. These muffins are exactly that!
My favorite banana muffins are perfect to use leftover bananas. But sometimes I buy bananas especially to make these delicious treats and hope they’ll still be there when I’m ready to bake.
These banana crumb muffins are super easy to make from scratch with simple ingredients that you probably have in your pantry!
Tips and Tricks for making Banana Crumb Muffins
- Use ripe bananas with brown spots for this recipe! They’ll be easier to mash and will result in sweeter and more flavorful muffins.
- Mash the bananas with a fork or potato masher until they’re well mashed with very few lumps remaining.
- To make healthier banana crumb muffins reduce the amount of butter to ¼ cup and add ¼ cup of unsweetened applesauce to the batter and decrease the amount of sugar to ⅓ cup in total.
- Don’t overmix the batter after you added the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients! Use a silicone spatula to combine the two mixture and just mix after no flour pockets are remaining.
- To make mini banana muffins use a 24-count mini muffin pan and bake the muffins for 12-14 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean with only a few moist crumbs attached.
- A great way to always have bananas for baking on hand is to freeze them when they are ripe. Peel them and put them in a ziplock bag then freeze them for up to 3 months. Frozen bananas are also a great healthier ice cream alternative!
Add-In Ideas for Banana Muffins
- ¾ cup milk or dark chocolate chips (mini chocolate chips would also be great!)
- ½-1 cup chopped nuts like pecans or walnuts
- ½-1 cup cinnamon chips
Looking for more recipes to make with ripe bananas?
- Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Banana Blueberry Muffins
- Banana Nutella Muffins
- Best Banana Nut Bread Recipe
- Easy Banana Cake Recipe
- Double Chocolate Banana Muffins Recipe
Tools used for making these Banana Muffins with Cinnamon Streusel:
Muffin Pan: I love this muffin pan! It comes with a lid so it’s easy to transport baked muffins or cupcakes and it’s super easy to clean, everything slides right off.
Cookie Scoop: This scoop is perfect for portioning the muffins and quickly scooping without mixing the batter too much.
Want to try this Banana Streusel Muffin Recipe?
PIN IT TO YOUR BREAKFAST BOARD TO SAVE IT OR SHARE ON FACEBOOK!
Follow Plated Cravings on Pinterest for more great recipes!
[social_warfare buttons=”Pinterest, Facebook”]
Banana Crumb Muffins
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 3 medium bananas, mashed
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, mix together 1 ½ cups flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together sugar and butter for about 4 minutes.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract, whisk until combined. Stir in the mashed bananas.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and mix until just combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
- In a small bowl, combine all-purpose flour, sugar, and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle evenly over muffins.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, until a toothpick, inserted into the center, comes out clean.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
If you’ve tried this or any other of my recipes, don’t forget to rate the recipe and to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you!