Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins are perfectly spiced, moist, and have a sweet cream cheese filling inside. Topped with a pumpkin praline topping this easy Starbucks copycat recipe is a fall favorite!
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
Pumpkin Muffins with Cream Cheese Filling taste just like the ones you can buy at Starbucks! A fluffy and moist Pumpkin Muffins with just the right amount of pumpkin pie spice filled with a sweet cream cheese filling that peaks out of the muffin and adds velvety flavor to every bite. They even have pumpkin praline on top!
These Pumpkin Cheesecake Muffins make a great snack or quick breakfast with a big steaming cup of Pumpkin Spice Latte!
How to Make Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
- Roast the pumpkin seeds in some melted butter in a skillet, then add brown sugar and caramelize the seeds.
- Combine the caramelized pumpkin seeds with brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice.
- To make the filling, soften the cream cheese, add the sugar and vanilla extract and whisk until smooth.
- Make the pumpkin muffins by combining the dry ingredients in a bowl and the wet ingredients in another bowl. Then add the dry mixture to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan, sprinkle with Pumpkin Praline Topping and fill with cream cheese.
Tips and Tricks for Making Starbucks Pumpkin Muffins
- Use muffin liners for this recipe!
- A 15 oz can of pumpkin puree equals nearly 2 cups. It’s 2 1/2 tablespoons short of 2 cups.
- Don’t over-mix the batter after adding the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients!
- If you don’t have piping bags, a small cookie scoop works too for adding the cream cheese filling to the batter.
- Instead of using premade pumpkin pie spice you can also make your own by combining 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg, and 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice.
- Fill the muffin cups all the way to the top with batter, then add the filling. This way you get bakery-style muffins!
- The pumpkin praline topping is optional, but it adds crunch and flavor.
- Make sure to press the filling into the batter by dipping the tip of the piping bag about 2/3 into the batter and then slowly releasing the filling while pulling out.
- Don’t let the muffins cool in the pan! Carefully twist them out of the pan after 10 minutes and transfer them to a cooling rack.
How to soften Cream Cheese
The fastest way to soften a block of cream cheese is in the microwave on low power. Depending on your microwave this takes about 30 seconds.
More Pumpkin Recipes:
Do pumpkin muffins need to be refrigerated?
Serve: Serve these muffins at room temperature. If stored in the fridge take them out at least 10 minutes before serving for the best taste.
Store: These muffins should be stored in the refrigerator because of the cream cheese filling. They keep for 3-4 days.
Freeze: I don’t recommend freezing these muffins because the texture of the cream cheese filling can change during thawing.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
If you’ve tried this or any other of my recipes, don’t forget to rate the recipe and to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you!
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
Cream Cheese Filling:
- 8 oz block cream cheese
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Pumpkin Praline Topping:
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar, divided
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds, chopped
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 15 oz. can pumpkin puree
- Preheat oven to 420F (215C) and line a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- To make the filling: Microwave cream cheese in a microwave-safe bowl on low power for 30 seconds. Add the sugar and vanilla extract and whisk until smooth. Transfer to a piping bag (without a tip) and set aside.
- To make the pumpkin praline topping: In a small bowl combine 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice and 1 Tbsp brown sugar. Set aside. Melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add pumpkin seeds and cook for 2-3 minutes, then add remaining brown sugar and cook for 1-2 minutes stirring constantly until caramelized. Transfer caramelized pumpkin seeds to brown sugar mixture and stir to combine. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and pumpkin spice. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment combine softened butter and sugar, beat at medium speed for 1 minute. Add eggs and beat for 2 minutes at high speed. Reduce speed to low, add pumpkin puree and mix until combined.
- Add the flour mixture to the bowl and beat until just combined.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan, filling the cups all the way to the top. Sprinkle with Pumpkin Praline Topping. Cut off the tip of the piping bag and press about 2-3 Tbsp of cream cheese filling into the batter (see image above).
- Bake for 5 minutes at 420F (215C), then keeping the muffins in the oven, lower the oven temperature to 350F (180C) and bake for about 20 more minutes, or until the muffins are golden on top.
- Transfer the pan to a cooling rack and let the muffins cool for 5-10 minutes. Remove the muffins from the pan and let cool to room temperature on the rack.