Pumpkin Crunch Cake is the perfect Thanksgiving dessert for a crowd that can be made in minutes and is a great alternative to traditional pumpkin pie. An easy sheet cake made with a delicious layer of pumpkin pie topped with a crunchy cake mix topping makes the perfect fall dessert!
Pumpkin Crunch Cake
Pumpkin Pie Cake is so easy to make and has a crunchy, delicious pecan cake mix streusel on top. We love pumpkin desserts like Pumpkin Cake, Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies, and Pumpkin Cupcakes. But this cake recipe is probably the easiest way to make a fall-flavored dessert for a big crowd!
Not only is this Pumpkin Pie Sheet Cake easy to make, but it’s also incredibly delicious. This recipe is similar to a dump cake but to get the best flavor and texture I prefer to mix the topping with a pastry cutter instead of just dumping it on top of the pumpkin pie. This way you get an even layer and no dry spots.
With minimal effort and just a handful of simple ingredients, you can create an indulgent and flavorful pumpkin dessert that’s perfect for Thanksgiving or any random fall day. My family goes crazy for this cake. Even friends that are not the biggest pumpkin pie fans love this crunchy spiced cake!
Tips for Making Pumpkin Pie Cake
- This recipe can be made a day in advance and stored in the fridge overnight
- Instead of a spice cake mix, you can also use a yellow cake mix. I think other cake mixes will work too even gluten-free cake mixes
- Instead of the individual spices, you can also use 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice plus 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- This recipe uses pecans in the topping but you could also use walnuts
- You can also add a handful of chocolate chips to the topping or some unsweetened coconut flakes
- If you can’t use nuts you can leave them out of this recipe and it will still be delicious
- This cake is quite soft and moist like a pumpkin pie so it’s best to serve it right out of the pan. It’s easier to get nice slices if the cake is really cold
- If you want cleaner slices you could prepare a graham cracker crust to go under the pumpkin pie layer. Combine 1 3/4 graham cracker crumbs, 1/4 cup sugar, and 1/2 cup melted butter. Press into the pan and bake for 15 minutes at 350 F
- This cake tastes best served cold from the fridge (like a pumpkin pie)
Can I use condensed milk instead?
No, this recipe only works with evaporated milk. Sweetened condensed milk is different than evaporated milk as it has sugar and a different consistency.
Can you use pumpkin pie filling instead of pumpkin puree?
No, you need to use pure pumpkin puree. Pumpkin pie filling has some additional ingredients which would require adjustments to the rest of the recipe,
Does Pumpkin Crunch Cake need to be refrigerated?
You’ll want to chill this cake according to the directions so it firms up before serving. It’s a quite soft and moist cake with a texture like a pumpkin pie at the bottom so it should be stored in the fridge.
Want to try this Pumpkin Dump Cake Recipe?
PIN IT TO YOUR DESSERT BOARD TO SAVE IT OR SHARE ON FACEBOOK!
Follow Plated Cravings on Pinterest for more great recipes!
[social_warfare buttons=”Pinterest, Facebook”]
Pumpkin Crunch Cake
- 15 ounce can pumpkin puree
- 12 fluid ounce can evaporated milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 spice cake mix 18.25 ounce package
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C). Lightly grease and flour the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, combine pumpkin puree, evaporated milk, eggs, white sugar, brown sugar, spices, and salt. Mix until well combined and smooth. Pour into the prepared baking pan.
- Combine cake mix and melted butter with a fork or pastry cutter. Mix in chopped pecans. Sprinkle over pumpkin mixture.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool completely in the pan on a wire rack then refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Serve topped with whipped cream.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
If you’ve tried this or any other of my recipes, don’t forget to rate the recipe and to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you!