This Pumpkin Spice Cake is moist, tender, and so easy to make from scratch! With the perfect balance of pumpkin flavor and spices, this simple sheet cake is one of the best pumpkin cakes you’ll ever eat.
Pumpkin Sheet Cake with cream cheese frosting makes a great autumn dessert for a crowd! Not only does this pumpkin cake taste so flavorful and has the perfect texture but it’s also super simple to make from scratch. You’ll love how easy this recipe is to prepare even if you are a beginner baker!
I’m so excited that fall is finally here because that means it’s getting cold enough to turn the oven on whenever I like without getting a heat stroke. Yay for baking season! I might have gotten a bit overexcited so please excuse all the pumpkin recipes in the last days but I’m just so happy about the colder weather.
I’ve already shared the recipe for these pretty pumpkin cupcakes a few days ago. Have you tried them yet?! The browned buttercream on top is to die for. Even though today’s recipe is just a simple sheet cake it will likely become one of your favorite pumpkin cake recipes because it’s so delicious with a perfect balance of flavor and texture while being super easy to make! You have to try it!!
Tips and Tricks for Making this Pumpkin Sheet Cake
- To make this cake a little bit healthier: Instead of 1 cup vegetable oil, try 1/2 cup (90g) unsweetened applesauce and 1/2 (120ml) cup vegetable oil.
- Did you know that shiny metal pans, dark metal pans, and glass pans cook differently? Dark pans and glass dishes cook the outside of the cake faster than shiny metal pans do. So turn the oven down 25° F when using a dark metal pan or glass bakeware.
- Also, keep in mind that every oven is different! Unless you have a regularly calibrated oven, your oven’s temperature is probably inaccurate. So keep an eye on your cake and always test with a skewer for doneness, the skewer should come out clean.
- Instead of cream cheese, you can also use the same amount of Mascarpone cheese. I love the taste of mascarpone in frosting! It is not as tangy as cream cheese and has a mild buttery flavor.
- This cake can be made in advance and refrigerated for up to 3 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.
This cake has a tender and soft texture because the eggs, sugar, and oil are beaten until the mixture is fluffy. This step is really important because there is so much pumpkin added to the batter. You want this cake to be moist but not dense and wet.
The right balance of texture and flavor makes this cake so delicious! This cake really tastes like pumpkin and not only like pumpkin spice or sugar and the texture is just perfect. Even after a few days in the fridge this easy pumpkin sheet cake still tastes fresh and not dry!
Looking for more Pumpkin Recipes?
Tools used for Making this Pumpkin Spice Cake Recipe
9 x 13 inch Pan with Lid: I love this baking pan! It comes with a lid so it’s easy to transport baked goods or casseroles and it’s super easy to clean, everything slides right off. I use this pan for all my 9×13-inch cakes, bars, and casseroles.
Pumpkin Puree: This is really the best pumpkin puree! It has a silky consistency and subtle sweetness. I always use this one!!
Cinnamon: This is my favorite cinnamon! It is not too spicy and really versatile. Perfect for baking but also great on top of rice pudding.
Pumpkin Spice Cake Recipe
This Pumpkin Spice Cake is moist, tender, and so easy to make from scratch! With the perfect balance of pumpkin flavor and spices, this simple sheet cake is one of the best pumpkin cakes you'll ever eat.
For the Pumpkin Cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (260g)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup vegetable oil (230ml)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar (300g)
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin puree (425g)
For the Frosting:
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter softened (85g)
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar (180g)
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened and cut into pieces (225g)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) and grease and flour a 9x13-inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl combine, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whisk together oil, eggs, and sugar at medium-high speed until thick and creamy, about 4 minutes.
- Reduce speed to low and add pumpkin puree. Beat until combined.
- With the mixer running on low add the flour mixture in three additions. Mix until just combined. Don't overmix.
Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in the middle of the oven for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Transfer pan to a cooling rack and let cool completely.
- To make the frosting: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat butter and powdered sugar together at medium-high speed until fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add cream cheese, one piece at a time, and beat until combined after each addition.
- Add vanilla extract and mix until smooth.
Frost cake and serve. Cake can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.