Last updated on December 2nd, 2017
Plum Cake with Streusel – a delicious coffee cake which is really easy to make! This streusel cake is super versatile, just switch out the plums for apples or peaches. You can even bake it on a sheet if you need to feed a crowd!
It’s almost fall and I’m so excited for all the beautiful late summer fruits which are in season now. Like apples and plums – these two are great for baking and the big batches you can get at the supermarket at the moment are perfect for making delicious baked treats.
I shared quite a few apple recipes on the blog like this delicious Apple Streusel Sheet Cake, this Covered German Apple Cake, and Puff Pastry Walnut Apple Strudel but I haven’t posted a recipe for plum cake yet. So I thought it’s time to show you how to make my favorite one!
This super easy plum cake has a fluffy sponge bottom, plums in the middle, and is topped with delicious nut-free streusel. You can use any kind of plums for this cake, some are sweeter or tarter. I like to use a European variety called Zwetschge because you can get them everywhere at this time of the year. But every kind of plum works!
You could also use apples instead of plums or peaches. This cake is great for all kinds of fruits but works best with the ones who keep their shape during baking.
I made this cake two times in the last week because it’s so delicious and super easy to make! My husband took one to work because it was his birthday last weekend but he didn’t even get a piece for himself, his colleagues ate it so quickly.
It’s only the start of the European plum season so I think this wasn’t the last plum cake I baked this month! He will get a few more pieces this September, for sure.
I have to admit I like this kind of plum cake with a sponge bottom much more than the more traditional plum cake with yeast dough. In Bavaria, Zwetschgendatschi (that’s the one with the yeast dough bottom) is everywhere but this one is much easier to make and tastes better in my opinion.
Make sure to watch the little, quick video I made for you before baking this cake! It covers every step to get a perfect cake. And if you don’t have a springform pan you can make this cake on a deep baking sheet or in a pie pan.
It’s time to say good bye to summer with this beautiful cake and be excited for crisp fall days, cuddly sweaters, and everything Pumpkin Spice!
Have a great Labor Day weekend!
Pin this Plum Cake with Streusel for later!
Plum Cake with Streusel
- 25-30 oz Plums Note 1
For the cake batter:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour 125g
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup and 2 tbsp sugar 125g
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 stick butter 115g, room temperature
- 2 eggs medium
For the streusel:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour 125g
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 stick butter room temperature, 115g
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (177°C). Spray or lightly butter a 9-inch springform pan. Set aside.
- Chop the fresh plums into quarters and remove and discard the stone. Set aside.
- Make the cake batter: In a bowl toss together flour and baking powder.
- Add flour mixture, sugar, vanilla extract, lemon zest, butter, and eggs to the bowl of a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat on low speed until combined then increase speed to medium-high and beat until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan and spread it evenly. Gently press the plums into the dough (see pictures or video).
- Make the streusel: Add flour, sugar, and cinnamon to the bowl of a handheld or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix together with a fork. Add butter and beat until combined. Beat only until everything is combined and your streusel have a coarse texture about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Using your hands spread the streusel evenly on top of the plums.
- Bake for 50 minutes until the top is lightly golden. Let the cake sit in the pan for about 10 minutes, then run a knife around the edge of the pan and remove the outer ring of the springform.
Note 1: You can also use 4-5 apples or peaches for this cake.