No-Bake Key Lime Pie is an easy-to-prep dessert that’s made with only a few, simple ingredients and ready in less than 20 min. A perfect, quick summer recipe!
No-Bake Key Lime Pie is one of my favorite summer desserts! With its creamy and tangy cheesecake filling this lime pie makes a perfect summer dessert that is refreshing and so flavorful. You could even freeze it and serve it partially frozen for an even more refreshing treat on a hot summer day.
This recipe only requires a few ingredients and is so simple to throw together in minutes, check out my tips and tricks to make it even easier. You’ll want to keep this easy no-bake recipe on file for summer parties for sure! Whipped Key Lime Pie is perfect when you don’t want to turn the oven on!
Are you looking for more easy no-bake desserts? Check out my Chocolate Mousse Cake and my Lemon Mousse Recipe, both are super easy and can be whipped up in minutes. And if you are looking for a lemon version of this pie check out my Easy Lemon Cream Pie Recipe.
Tips and FAQ for this recipe
- Lime juice – Freshly squeezed key lime juice is the best choice flavorwise for this recipe! But regular limes work as well, the difference in flavor is not that big. I promise this lime pie will taste great even without key limes!
- Extra flavor -You can add 2 tsp finely grated lime zest to the filling if you like the texture in the filling.
- Pan – You can also make this recipe in a 7 or 8-inch springform pan. I find it easier to make pretty slices when I use a springform pan. Make sure to press the crumb mixture up the sides of the springform pan.
- Make it easier – To make this recipe even easier, use a prepared 9-inch graham cracker pie crust and bottled key lime juice.
- Substitutions – If you can’t find graham crackers you can also use the same amount of digestive biscuits (UK) or Vollkorn-Butterkekse (Germany).
- Whipping cream – Whipping cream can be tricky, I recommend using extra cold cream and putting you mixing bowl into the freezer for a few minutes. You could also try using a hand mixer because it gives you more control. Check out my post for homemade whipped cream, where I share all my tips and tricks.
Do I have to use key limes?
No, you don’t! I use regular limes and the taste difference is so minimal it doesn’t justify the extra work of juicing all those tiny limes in my opinion. But feel free to use key limes if you prefer! You can also use bottled key lime juice.
How many limes do I need?
You’ll need about 20 key limes to get 1/2 cup of juice or 4-6 ‘regular’ limes. But if you don’t have time you can also use bottled key lime juice.
Can I make this recipe without cream cheese?
If you don’t want to use cream cheese you can replace it with mascarpone. This Italian cream cheese is not as tangy as regular cream cheese and has a creamier, richer taste because it’s made from whole milk.
Can I freeze this pie?
Yes, you can! I love that I can make this Key Lime Cream Pie several days in advance and store it in the freezer. Perfect for parties! I just let the pie thaw for about 20 minutes to return to its perfect creamy texture, garnish it with fresh whipped cream, and serve it. Who doesn’t love a cold, refreshing dessert on a hot summer day?!
No Bake Key Lime Pie
For the crust (or use a store-bought graham cracker crust)
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
For the filling
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, plus more for decorating
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup key lime juice, or lime juice
- 1 Tbsp lime zest, finely grated (optional)
- In a medium bowl combine graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, and sugar. Stir until combined then press tightly into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie dish. Chill the crust for 30 minutes or longer.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment whip up the heavy cream until stiff, then transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- In the same bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat cream cheese at low-medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Add the sweetened condensed milk slowly then beat until smooth and well mixed.
- Add the whipped cream and mix until combined.
- With the mixer running on low speed, slowly add the key lime juice. The mixture will start to thicken and to get creamy. Continue to mix for 1 more minute.
- Pour into prepared pie dish and refrigerate for atleast 6 hours or overnight until firm.
Post originally published in 2017, updated with slightly tweaked recipe and additional tips and tricks.