Breakfast Burritos filled with eggs, beans, veggies, and sausage make a hearty breakfast. Prep them in advance and freeze them, then just reheat in the oven or Air Fryer.
I might have a sweet tooth but my husband loves a savory breakfast like my Spinach Tomato Quiche, Italian Baked Eggs and Meatballs, or Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole.
Freezer Breakfast Burritos are my husband’s favorite breakfast! What I love about them is that you can make a big batch of them ahead of time and then just freeze the assembled burritos and reheat them whenever you crave one.
Perfect for busy days or when you just don’t have the energy to cook up something for breakfast! They are so easy and quick to reheat (even straight from the freezer!) and taste as delicious as freshly made.
How to Make a Breakfast Burrito
- Fry the breakfast sausage until cooked.
- Saute onion, add veggies, and then pour in the whisked eggs. Scramble until cooked, stir in cilantro.
- Assemble the burritos. Layer refried beans, scrambled eggs and veggies, cheese, and sausage.
- Roll into a burrito and fry in a pan to eat right away or wrap in aluminum foil and put in a ziplock bag to freeze or refrigerate for later.
Tips for Making Meal Prep Breakfast Burritos
- This recipe makes 10 burritos. You can eat them right away, refrigerate them, or freeze them. You could even double the recipe to make more!
- Follow the instructions below to freeze them or store them wrapped in foil in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- When reheating the burritos, you can test with an instant-read thermometer if the inside is hot. Bigger burritos take a bit longer.
- My secret for making the BEST scrambled eggs is adding a little bit of heavy cream!
- Serve with sour cream, hot sauce, and salsa.
- Instead of breakfast sausage, you can also use 1 lb ground pork and 2 Tbsp taco seasoning or crispy bacon.
- You can make these burritos vegetarian by skipping the sausage.
- To make them dairy-free, skip the cheese and cream.
How to Freeze Burritos
- Wrap assembled Burritos in Aluminum Foil. Use a large enough piece of foil, place burrito in the middle of the lower half of foil, start to roll then fold sides in and finish tightly rolling it.
- Place in a ziplock bag together with the other burritos. This way you can write instructions and the date on the bag and it prevents freezer burn.
- Label with name, date, and reheating instructions.
How to reheat Breakfast Burritos
- Thaw+Oven: Thaw them overnight in the fridge ( don’t remove the foil) and bake them in foil, in a preheated oven at 400 F for 20 minutes, turning them once halfway. Then remove foil and bake for 3-6 minutes longer until browned.
- Thaw+AirFryer: Thaw them overnight in the fridge ( don’t remove the foil) and place them in the AirFryer basket and bake for 15 minutes at 350 F. Then remove foil and bake for 3-6 minutes longer until browned.
- Straight from freezer+Oven: Bake them in foil, in a preheated oven at 400 F for 40 minutes. Then remove foil and bake for 3-6 minutes longer until browned.
- Straight from freezer+AirFryer: Place them in the AirFryer basket and bake for 25-30 minutes at 350 F. Then remove foil and bake for 3-6 minutes longer until browned.
Tools and Ingredients used to make this recipe:
A must-have that every cook should have in their kitchen! It’s super affordable and makes it so easy to check the internal temperature of roasts, steaks, creme brulee, etc.
This is the model I own. I really like it and would recommend it for smaller families. It comes with a rack that doubles the space in the basket. Before buying this model I had the older XL Air Fryer which was bigger but took a lot more space to store.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, or avocado oil
- 12 breakfast sausages, removed from casing
- 8 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 8 oz refried beans
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, or a mix
- 10 large flour tortillas
- In a frying pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Squeeze breakfast sausage out of the casing and fry until brown, breaking up into small pieces with a spatula while cooking.
- In a bowl combine eggs and cream. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Saute onions until translucent, then add the bell pepper. Saute for 2 minutes, then add the tomato and saute for one more minute.
- Pour egg mixture into the pan and scramble until cooked. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.
- Assemble the burritos: Smear 1 Tbsp of refried beans on the bottom half of the tortilla leaving a 1-inch rim to the edge. Layer scrambled eggs, 2-3 Tbsp cheese, and sausage on top.
- Roll burrito up from the bottom then fold the left and right corners in toward the center and continue to roll into a tight burrito. Put seam side down, set aside, and repeat with remaining tortillas. Freeze (see instructions above the recipe card) or cook right away.
- To eat right away, heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Place burritos seam side down in the pan and cook until the bottom of the burritos is golden brown, about 2-3 minutes on each side.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
PINTEREST / FACEBOOK / INSTAGRAM / TWITTER
If you’ve tried this or any other of my recipes, don’t forget to rate the recipe and to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you!
Leave a Reply