Cheesy Mexican Toast Cups are made in a muffin tin with sandwich bread! Filled with black beans, homemade salsa, cheese, and eggs. Perfect for brunch or as a party snack!
I love everything in mini format – bite sized food and little versions are great, you can try more things and it often looks better when you serve it.
These Mexican Toast Cups are an excellent example for this theory! Could you resist them?
I wanted to make something savory for breakfast last weekend. I’m more of a sweet kind of girl, I love things like my Cherry French Toast Casserole, my husband is more the savory guy he loves things like huevos rancheros.
He orders it every time we go out for breakfast and it’s on the restaurant’s menu. So I wanted to make something inspired by his favorite breakfast dish!
These little toast cups are really easy to make but they look fancy, which is always good in my eyes!
I used whole wheat sandwich bread for a heartier texture which prevents the egg mixture from getting sucked in better than white bread and is healthier too. Just cut off the crusts of the sandwich bread, flatten the bread with a rolling pin (or beer bottle :-) ) and press it into the lightly greased muffin tin. To get the opposite of a soggy toast cup put the muffin tin in the oven for 3 minutes.
Then it’s time to fill your bread cups! I only use half of the salsa in the filling and put the leftover salsa on top of each toast cup.
This recipe is great for a spring or summertime brunch! You get 12 Mexican toast cups, I suggest 2-3 per person.
Cheesy Mexican Toast Cups
- 5 plum tomatoes
- 4 spring onions
- 2 small red dried chilis
- 1/2 cup coriander
- Chipotle Tabasco
- 8 oz tin black beans drained, 400g
- 12 slices whole wheat sandwich bread
- 4 medium sized eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese grated
- Salt and pepper
- Oil spray
- Preheat your oven to 350°F/180°C.
- To make the salsa, dice and seed the plum tomatoes. Finely slice the spring onions and chop the red chilis (don't use all the chili seed if you don't like it too spicy). Chop the coriander and mix it with the tomatoes, chili, and spring onions together. Season with salt, pepper, and a little bit chipotle tabasco.
- Mix half of the salsa with the drained black beans. The rest of the salsa will be used to put on the baked toast cups.
- Cut off the crust of the bread slices and use a rolling pin to flatten them.
- Lightly spray all 12 holes of a muffin tin and then press one slice of sandwich bread into each hole. Be a bit careful not to make holes in the bread. Place the muffin tin in the oven for 3 minutes. Remove the muffin tin and set aside.
- Crack 4 eggs into a bowl, add the milk and a pinch of salt and pepper. Whisk together.
- Divide the black beans mixture between the 12 toast cups, then the cheese.
- Pour the egg mixture into each cup but don't overfill the cup. The egg mixture will sink slowly, it's best to pour in two round. In the first round only pour about 1 tablespoon of the egg mixture into the cup, then wait a little bit and fill up the cup in the second round.
- Immediately after you filled the toast cups put the muffin tin back in the oven and bake for 15 minutes until the filling is set and the tops are lightly golden.
- Remove the cups from the oven and let them rest for a few minutes before serving.
- Divide the leftover salsa between the cups and serve warm.
Recipe inspired by Nagi from RecipeTin Eats