Easy Spice Cake Recipe
This easy Spice Cake Recipe is an old family recipe and makes your house smell amazing! A moist and chocolatey spiced sheet cake made with holiday spices that is easy to make from scratch and tastes even better on the next day.
This moist Gingerbread Cake comes together in minutes and tastes heavenly! It’s one of those cakes that tastes even better on the second (or third day) but is always gone on the first day because it tastes so good. The reason why this cake tastes better on the next day is that the flavors of the spices need a little bit to develop and blend together.
Spice Cake is one of my husband’s favorite cakes of all time! Perhaps because it’s not overly sweet, with just the right amount of spices, and a few tablespoons of cocoa powder which give this cake a chocolatey, rich flavor.
In Germany, this cake is called Gewürzkuchen (Gewürz means spice) and is often baked around Christmas time. The sprinkles on top of the chocolate glaze add a festive touch to this simple but so delicious spiced cake. Cut into smaller pieces it also makes a great addition to a cookie plate but my family loves it all year round.
Tips & Tricks for Making this easy spice cake from scratch
- Make sure the butter is soft and the eggs are not cold!
- Use quality ingredients for the best taste and measure your ingredients correctly. Don’t scoop the flour, spoon and level it instead.
- Always test with a skewer for doneness! Every oven is different and your baking pan also affects how quickly the cake bakes.
- Add a teaspoon of coconut oil to the chocolate and melt it together. It’s easier to spread and gives a nice shine to the chocolate glaze.
- After spreading the chocolate over the cooled cake I always put the pan in the fridge. This makes the chocolate set quicker!
Looking for more easy Sheet Cake Recipes?
- Easy Lemon Sheet Cake Recipe
- German Apple Streusel Sheet Cake
- Easy Carrot Cake Recipe
- Easy Banana Cake Recipe
Tools used for Making this Recipe
9 x 13 inch Pan with Lid: I love this baking pan! It comes with a lid so it’s easy to transport baked goods or casseroles and it’s super easy to clean, everything slides right off. I use this pan for all my 9×13-inch cakes, bars, and casseroles.
Cinnamon: This is my favorite cinnamon! It is not too spicy and really versatile. Perfect for baking but also great on top of rice pudding.
Unsweetened Cocoa Powder: This cocoa powder gives an amazing, dark, rich chocolate flavor.
Sprinkles: This shop sells the cutes sprinkles!
[social_warfare buttons=”Pinterest, Facebook”]
Easy Spice Cake Recipe (German Gewürzkuchen)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature (230g)
- 1 1/2 cup packed light or dark brown sugar, (300g)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, (320g)
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 tsp orange zest, (optional)
- 1 1/4 cup whole milk, (300ml)
- 6 oz dark or milk chocolate, (150g)
- 2 Tbsp sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 390°F (200°C) and grease and flour a 13x9-inch baking pan. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the paddle attachment combine butter, brown sugar, and vanilla extract. Beat for 4 minutes at medium-high speed until the mixture is pale and fluffy. Scrape sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed.
- In a small bowl combine flour, baking powder, spices, and salt. Set aside.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, to the sugar-butter mixture. Mix for 20 seconds after each addition.
- Add orange zest and mix until combined.
- With the mixer running on low add flour mixture and milk alternating. Mix for 1 minute until combined.
- Transfer batter to the prepared baking pan and use a rubber spatula to smooth the top.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes until a skewer inserted comes out clean with only a few crumbs attached.
- Let cool completely in the pan on a wire rack.
- Melt chocolate and spread over the cooled cake. Sprinkle with chocolate and let chocolate set before serving.
- Store covered in a cool place. This cake keeps fresh for up to 5 days and tastes best on the 2nd day.