Easy Lemon Sheet Cake Recipe
An easy lemon sheet cake recipe that is made in a 9×13-inch pan and has a delicious simple lemon glaze on top. This lemon cake tastes even better on the next day!
This sheet cake is so easy to make and full of tangy lemon flavor! Perfect for every lemon dessert lover!
Made on a 13×9-inch baking sheet this cake is much easier to make than a layered cake. I love layered cakes like my Gingerbread Cake that I shared before Christmas or my Naked Strawberry Layer Cake but let’s be real these cakes take a lot of time to make and you need equipment that not everyone has in their kitchen.
So making a not-so-labor-intensive sheet cake instead is my way-to-go most of the time. This lemon sheet cake looks beautiful and tastes delicious yet you only need about 40 minutes to make it from scratch and that includes baking time!
Sheet cakes are my go-to cake to bring to a party or sent to work with my husband because they are easy to transport and quick to make. For me a sheet cake is a cake that is made on one single baking sheet, my favorite size is 9×13 but you can also use a 10.5×15.5 inch pan.
Most sheet cake recipes can easily be doubled, they might take a few minutes longer to be done so be sure to make a toothpick test!
Some of my favorite sheet cakes beside this lemon cake are my Apple Streusel Sheet Cake which is topped with streusel and makes a great alternative to apple pie and my Vanilla Pastry Cream Almond Cake which is made with yeast dough and filled with homemade pastry cream. All three are easy to make but the Apple Streusel Cake and this Lemon Sheet Cake are the perfect cakes to make in advance!
This lemon cake tastes even better after resting one day at room temperature. A perfect cake to make the night before a big party or birthday because the lemon glaze needs a day to infuse the cake and make it moister.
Like with every baking recipe, make sure to follow the instructions and ingredients that are called for! For this recipe in particular, it’s important to use fresh lemon juice and zest to get the best flavor and give the cake one night to rest at room temperature (NOT in the fridge, this would dry out the cake!).
Easy Lemon Sheet Cake
- 2 sticks butter, 230g
- 1 cup sugar, 200g
- 4 eggs
- 2 organic lemons, zest and juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, 240g
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- candied lemons, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF (180°C). Spray a 9x13 inch baking pan with non-stick spray or grease with butter and line with a sheet of parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine room temperature butter and sugar. Beat at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time and beat until just combined after adding each egg.
- Add all the lemon zest, the juice of one lemon, and vanilla extract. Whisk until combined.
- In a small bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the bowl of the stand mixer, beat until combined.
- Pour the cake batter into the pan and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Poke holes into the cake with a toothpick while it's still warm.
- In a bowl combine the powdered sugar and the juice of one lemon until the powdered sugar is incorporated and the consistency is runny. Add a little bit more juice if the mixture is too dry.
- Use a silicone spatula to spread the glaze on the warm cake. Let the cake rest until the glaze is set. This cake tastes even better after resting for a day at room temperature.
- If you want you can decorate the cake with candied lemon slices.