This easy Spinach Lasagna made with layers of spinach-ricotta filling, cheese, and a flavorful homemade tomato sauce is the perfect comfort food. An easy vegetarian dinner idea that your whole family will enjoy! This recipe can be easily adapted to fit your needs when you’re short on time.
For this Spinach Lasagna, you don’t need any special ingredients, you can find everything in your normal supermarket. There are also a few shortcuts you can make to get this delicious dish quicker on the dinner table!
For example, instead of using traditional lasagna noodles you can also use no-boil lasagna noodles for this recipe. Using these saves time because you don’t have to cook them before assembling the lasagna and they taste great in my opinion. But you can also use traditional noodles and use this trick: Put them in your baking dish before starting to prepare other ingredients, pour hot water over the noodles, and let them sit for 30 minutes while you cook the sauce and make the ricotta mixture.
This vegetarian lasagna with spinach makes a great healthier alternative to traditional lasagna! Perfect if you have a vegetarian in your family or if you want to incorporate more meat-free dinners that are easy to make with familiar ingredients.
Shortcuts for making this vegetarian spinach lasagna in less time
- Use no-boil lasagna noodles
- Use your favorite marinara sauce
- Use shredded cheese
Can you add fresh spinach to lasagna?
Yes, you can use fresh spinach instead of frozen spinach in this recipe.
How do you make a spinach lasagna?
- Preheat oven to 390°F.
- Saute onions and garlic. Add crushed tomatoes, season, and cook for 15 min.
- Cook spinach. Mix with ricotta, egg, and parmesan.
- Assemble lasagna.
- Bake for 40 min until browned.
This is just a short summary to give you an overview of the steps. Find the full printable recipe for the fresh spinach lasagna below!
Looking for more dinner recipes?
Tools and Ingredients used for making this healthy lasagna recipe
No-Boil Lasagna Noodles: These are my favorite oven-ready lasagna noodles! They taste great and make it super easy.
Marinara Sauce: My favorite Marinara Sauce! This brand is my go-to for pasta sauces. Tastes like homemade!
WANT TO TRY THIS RECIPE FOR SPINACH LASAGNA?
PIN IT TO YOUR DINNER BOARD TO SAVE IT OR SHARE ON FACEBOOK!
Follow Plated Cravings on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Spinach Lasagna Recipe
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 lb baby spinach fresh or frozen
- 1 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- 12 lasagne noodles Traditional or No Boil
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat your oven to 390°F (200°C). Grease a 11x7-inch baking dish.
- If using traditional lasagne noodles place them into the bottom of the baking dish. Pour hot water over the noodles until they are covered and let them soak for 30 minutes, then drain and discard water.
- In another saucepan heat up olive oil over medium temperature. Sauté the onions for 2-3 minutes until translucent. Add chopped garlic and cook for one more minute.
- Add the tomatoes to the onions. Season with pepper, salt, oregano and a pinch of sugar. Let simmer for 15 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, heat 1/4 cup (60ml) water over medium heat until simmering. Add fresh spinach leaves and cook for 3-4 minutes. If using frozen spinach cook for 10 minutes until warmed through.
- In a medium bowl combine ricotta, egg, and grated parmesan cheese. Season with a little bit nutmeg, salt, and pepper to taste.
- When the spinach is cooked and drain the spinach using a colander, then season with salt and pepper. Let it cool down for 2-3 minutes before adding it to the ricotta mixture.
- Assemble lasagna: Put a few tablespoons tomato sauce into the bottom of the baking dish. Top with 4 lasagna noodles. Spread 1/3 of the ricotta-spinach mixture on top of the lasagne sheets. Top it with 1/4 of the tomato sauce. Sprinkle 1/4 of the grated mozzarella cheese on top and cover with 4 lasagne noodles. Repeat layering two more times and finish with a layer of pasta topped with the remaining tomato sauce. Top with remaining cheese.
- Cover baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes then remove foil and bake for 20 more minutes until the cheese is browned.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
If you’ve tried this or any other of my recipes, don’t forget to rate the recipe and to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you!