My Spinach Quiche with Cheese and Pine Nuts is easy to make and perfect for brunch and parties! It also makes a perfect dinner. You can eat this Quiche hot and cold because the crust won’t go soggy.
A Quiche is a savoury kind of pie from France. It is traditionally eaten warm as an Appetizer or with salad as a main dish. There are classic quiches like Quiche Lorraine (filled with bacon, creme fraiche, and eggs) or when you add onions it will become a Quiche Alsacienne. It’s common to drink a glass of wine with your quiche or “Federweißer” which is a very young wine.
All kinds of quiche have the basics in common: Pie crust is filled with an egg and milk custard which is mixed with all sorts of extras like cheese and vegetables.
My quiche version uses eggs, whole milk, Austrian mountain cheese (any kind of mature cheese will do this job), cream cheese, onions, frozen spinach and pine nuts.
Spinach Quiche with Cheese and Pine Nuts
- 2 cups all purpose flour, 250 gr
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup cold butter, 120 g
- 2 tbsp cold water
- salt and pepper
- 4 eggs
- 1 onion
- 25 oz frozen Spinach, 750 g
- 2 tbsp bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup milk, 120 ml
- 4 oz cream cheese, 100 g
- 4 oz sliced gouda cheese or mature cheddar, 100 g
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- For the crust: Mix flour and salt. Add 1 egg, butter and cold water. Use your hands to form a smooth dough. Cover with cling film and put the dough in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Finely slice the onion and saute in some oil. Add frozen spinach and 2 tbsp water. Bring to the boil, cover and let it simmer for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally. Take the lid off and let simmer for another 5 minutes until the excess water is evaporated. Season with salt, pepper and a little bit of nutmeg.
- Preheat your oven to 390°F (200°C). On a floured work surface, roll out the chilled pie dough until you have a circle 14 inches in diameter. Carefully place the dough into a prepared 11-inch pie dish and tuck it in with your fingers. Prick with a fork a few times and sprinkle breadcrumbs (this helps with too much moisture) on top.
- Spread the spinach onto the dough. Mix 4 eggs, cream cheese and milk. Cut the cheese into small pieces and add to the egg mixture. Pour the mixture onto the spinach. Distribute everything evenly.
- Bake for 45 minutes. 5 minutes before the time is up, sprinkle pine nuts on top.
- Serve hot or cold!