Cheesy Potato Soup
Cheesy Potato Soup is the perfect comfort food for cold winter evenings that your whole family will love! This creamy crockpot potato soup is loaded with flavor, comforting, and easy to throw together. Perfect for cold winter days!
Cheesy Potato Soup
Cheesy Potato Soup is one of my family’s favorite dishes to make when it is cold outside. I love soup season because nothing beats enjoying a hot bowl of soup cuddled up under a blanket in front of the fireplace. This loaded baked potato soup is super easy to make, I included instructions for making it in a crockpot or on the stove. It has a creamy texture and can be made as smooth or chunky as you prefer.
This simple Crockpot Potato Soup is made with real cheese which adds so much flavor. I make mine with cheddar because I always have some on hand but you can use whatever cheese you prefer, except mozzarella because it gets super stringy.
What goes with potato cheese soup
Serve this cheesy potato soup topped with sour cream, bacon, and cheese to make a Loaded Baked Potato Soup or add some chopped ham to make cheesy ham and potato soup. Perfect for using leftovers from Thanksgiving or Christmas! This simple soup is filling and hearty so a green salad would make a great addition to transform it into a full meal.
Tips and Tricks for making this Crockpot Cheesy Potato Soup
- I prefer to saute the onions, garlic, and celery before I add them to the slow cooker. This adds more flavor and makes sure that the onions are cooked through. But you can also just add them to the slow cooker without sauteing them first
- If you don’t like thyme you can use chives instead. They go well with this soup too!
- You can cook this soup on high for 4 hours or on low for 7-8 hours
- I like my soup extra creamy with a few chunks in it so I use an immersion blender to puree the soup for a few seconds before I add the cheese.
- For a complete meal, serve with rustic bread and a healthy salad
- This soup fits in a 3-1/2-quart or 4-quart slow cooker. If you own a larger one you can also make the 1.5 amount, the cook time will be the same
How to thicken potato cheese soup
Potato Cheese soup is thickened by adding cornstarch whisked into some milk to the hot soup and cooking for 15-30 minutes. The melted cheese also make the soup creamy. If you prefer a thicker texture you can blend part of the soup with an immersion blender, the potatoes will also make the soup creamier.
Can potato cheese soup be frozen?
This soup has milk and cheese in it so it won’t hold up well in the freezer. Soups like this cheesy potato soup take on a grainy texture and separate when defrosted and rewarmed. So freezing the cooked soup is not something you should do but you can freeze the base soup without the milk and cheese and add those later during reheating.
Tools used to make this recipe:
Chicken Broth: I love the beef, chicken and vegetable version of this Better Than Bouillon! It’s so convenient to have on hand.
Slow Cooker: Love this slow cooker and how programmable it is! You can saute meat or onions in the insert for extra flavor. It’s a little bit pricier but worth it.
WANT TO TRY THIS SLOW COOKER CHEESE POTATO SOUP?
PIN IT TO YOUR SLOW COOKER BOARD TO SAVE IT!
Follow Plated Cravings on Pinterest for more great recipes!
[social_warfare buttons=”Pinterest, Facebook”]
Cheesy Potato Soup
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 lbs potatoes, about 5 medium
- 4 cups chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp dried or fresh thyme
- salt and pepper
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Cheese
- Cooked Bacon
- In a pan or the insert of your slow cooker heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and saute for 3-4 minutes, add garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Then add diced celery and saute for a few more minutes.
- In the meantime, peel and dice the potatoes.
- Spray slow cooker insert with cooking spray. In cooker, combine sauteed onion mixture, potatoes, and broth. (Instructions for cooking on the stove are below the recipe card)
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 7-8 hours.
- Increase heat setting to high. Whisk cornstarch and milk together. Stir into soup. Cook for 15-30 minutes or until thickened. Puree or mash part of the soup if you want a creamier texture.
- Stir in cheese until well melted. Add thyme and adjust seasoning to taste.
- Serve topped with sour cream, more cheese, and cooked, crumbled bacon.
How to make Cheesy Potato Soup on the stove
To make this recipe on the stove instead of in a crock pot follow step 1 and 2 then add potatoes and broth to the pot and let simmer at low temperature for about 30 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
Mash part of the potatoes with a masher or use an immersion blender. If you prefer a thicker soup, mix milk and cornstarch together and add to the soup. Bring to a simmer and cook for a few more minutes. Then add cheese and stir until melted. Season with thyme, salt, and pepper to taste. Serve topped with more cheese, crumbled bacon, and sour cream.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
If you’ve tried this or any other of my recipes, don’t forget to rate the recipe and to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you!