Slow Cooker Corn Chowder is so easy to make and takes just a few minutes of prep! A creamy and flavorful potato corn chowder that’s full of crispy bacon bits, sweet corn, and buttery red potatoes. It’s the perfect soup for cold wintery weather that your whole family will love!
This Slow Cooker Bacon Corn Chowder is a delicious set it an forget it meal that simmers all day in the crockpot and is ready to serve when you are ready to eat. Chunks of tender potatoes, sweet corn, fresh herbs and smoky, crispy bacon add so much flavor.
The perfect cool weather soup your whole family will enjoy that tastes like you stood by the stove tending to it for hours! Soups, like this bacon corn chowder or this Spinach Tortellini Soup Recipe, are a favorite in our house during the winter season. I love to make soup, stews, and chili in my Instant Pot or in the Slow Cooker for an easy and filling dinner.
Served with rustic bread and a side salad you can make this recipe into a complete meal that “warms you up” and is easy enough for weeknights!
Tips for making this Slow Cooker Corn and Potato Chowder
- You can also make this Slow Cooker Corn Chowder with milk instead of half-and-half to save some calories.
- Instead of red potatoes, you can also use Yukon gold potatoes.
- I like my soup extra creamy with a few chunks in it so I use an immersion blender to puree the soup for a few seconds before I add the bacon.
- You can top this soup with shredded cheddar, bacon, and fresh thyme as I have or add a dollop of sour cream.
- Serve this soup in a bread bowl for special occasions!
- You can cook this soup on high for 4 hours or on low for 7-8 hours.
- For a complete meal, serve with rustic bread and a healthy salad.
- You need a 3-1/2-quart or 4-quart slow cooker for this recipe.
You need 3/4 cup (or about 1/2 lb) crispy crumbled bacon for this recipe. This is about 10 regular raw slices of bacon. Here are two easy methods to cook perfectly crisp bacon:
How to cook bacon on the stove
Start with a cold and place the slices so they are touching but don’t overlap too much. Turn your burner on low. Use tongs to loosen the bacon strips when they start to curl and turn each slice to cook on the other side. Keep flipping and turning the bacon until it is done. Keep in mind that the bacon will continue to cook and stiffen a little bit when you pull it from the pan. Drain the cooked bacon on paper towels.
How to cook bacon in the oven
Cooking bacon in the oven limits the mess and hands-on time! To cook bacon in the oven preheat it to 400° F and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Lay the bacon on the sheet pan in a single layer and bake for 15 to 20 minutes flipping the bacon halfway. Dry on paper towels and serve.
Looking for more soup recipes?
- Creamy Butternut Squash Soup (Slow Cooker, Instant Pot, and Stovetop instructions)
- Roasted Tomato Soup
- Instant Pot Carrot Soup Recipe
- Curried Cream of Corn Soup
- Easy Potato Bacon Soup
Tools used for Making this Slow Cooker Bacon Corn Chowder
Chicken Broth: I love the beef, chicken and vegetable version of this Better Than Bouillon! It’s so convenient to have on hand.
Slow Cooker: Love this slow cooker and how programmable it is! You can saute meat or onions in the insert for extra flavor. It’s a little bit pricier but worth it.
WANT TO TRY THIS SLOW COOKER CORN CHOWDER?
PIN IT TO YOUR SLOW COOKER BOARD TO SAVE IT!
Follow Plated Cravings on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Slow Cooker Corn Chowder with Bacon
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion, about 1 medium
- 1 lb small red potatoes, cut into cubes (450g)
- 24 oz frozen whole kernel corn
- 3 cups chicken broth, (720ml)
- 2 cups half-and-half, (480ml)
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 3/4 cup crumbled crispy bacon, divided (300g)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar, (70g)
- Add chopped onion, cubed potatoes, frozen corn, and broth into the slow cooker and stir.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 7-8 hours until the potatoes are tender.
- In a measuring cup combine the half and half with the cornstarch and whisk together until no lumps remain.
- Add in the half and half mixture to the slow cooker and stir.
- Cook on high for 15 minutes.
- Mash part of the potatoes for creaminess or use an immersion blender to puree the soup for a few seconds until you have the desired texture.
- Add black pepper, fresh thyme, and half of the crisp crumbled bacon. Stir until combined. Season with salt to taste.
- Serve with the remainder of the bacon and shredded cheddar sprinkled over the top.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
PINTEREST / FACEBOOK / INSTAGRAM / TWITTER
If you’ve tried this or any other of my recipes, don’t forget to rate the recipe and to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you!
This was amazing! The right texture and creaminess.
I am a picky eater and I have never made Corn Chowder before. This is a home run for me. Super yummy and perfect for colder weather.
I made! It was delicious! I eliminated bacon and cheese and I added red bell pepper. Very easy to make!
Dana DeVolk says
Wow, this chowder looks so decadent and yummy, can’t wait to try it!
The bacon in this soup is everything! <3 Can't wait to try it :D