Coconut Macaroons Recipe
These Coconut Macaroons are chewy and moist on the inside and crispy on the outside! Made with lemon zest and without sweetened condensed milk, these sweet and easy coconut cookies are going to be everyone’s favorite treat this holiday season.
Coconut Macaroon cookies are my favorite Christmas cookies! I love the chewy texture and the crispy outside. These cookies are definitely every coconut lover’s dream!
In Germany, Coconut Macaroons are called Kokosmakronen and are traditionally made without sweetened condensed milk. So my recipe would be perfect for you if you don’t like the taste of condensed milk or don’t have some on hand and still want to make your favorite coconut cookies.
I’ve tried many coconut macaroons before but these are my favorite by far! They keep their shape in the oven, don’t burn easily, and they keep well for days. A perfect cookie to make ahead or give as gifts during the holidays!
Tips & Tricks on How to Make Coconut Macaroons
- Be careful when using a double boiler! The steam is very hot and you can easily burn yourself if you#re not careful.
- The water in the pot shouldn’t touch the bowl and you need to keep whisking constantly or you will end up with scrambled eggs. Better combine the egg whites and sugar before putting the bowl on top of the pot.
- Don’t let the batter sit too long in the fridge or it will get difficult to shape the macaroons! 30-45 minutes are enough in my experience.
- After dipping the macaroons in chocolate place the baking sheet in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes to allow the chocolate to set faster.
- The cookies keep well in an airtight container at room temperature for about a week.
You need three egg whites for this recipe, the leftover egg yolks are perfect for making Creme Brulee.
Looking for more easy Cookie Recipes?
- Maple Hazelnut Cookies Recipe
- Nutella Cookies Recipe
- Chocolate Almond Biscotti Recipe
- Vanillekipferl (German Vanilla Crescent Cookies)
- Almond Macaroon Butter Cookies
You can find all my Cookie Recipes here.
Tools used for Making this Coconut Macaroon Recipe
[social_warfare buttons=”Pinterest, Facebook”]
Coconut Macaroons Recipe
- 3 egg whites
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar, (150g)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 2 1/2 cups flaked coconut, (200g)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, (60g)
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips, (90g)
- In a double boiler, whisk egg whites, sugar and salt together. Heat, stirring constantly until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is thoroughly heated, then remove from heat.
- Stir in vanilla extract and lemon zest.
- Add flaked coconut and flour, stir until combined.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C) and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using two spoons, drop heaping tablespoons of the mixture on the prepared baking sheets, spacing about 1 inch apart.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until the tops and edges are golden.
- Let cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- When the macaroons are cooled completely, melt the chocolate in a double boiler over simmering water (or in the microwave).
- Dip the bottoms of the macaroons in the melted chocolate. Let any excess drip back into the bowl and put the macaroon back on the baking sheet lined with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Drizzle tops with chocolate if desired. Let stand until set.
- Then store in an airtight container at room temperature.