Baked Chicken Legs with Potatoes
Oven Baked Chicken Legs with Potatoes and Vegetables are so easy to make with only a few simple ingredients and one sheet pan! These baked chicken thighs and drumsticks come out tender and juicy on the inside and crispy on the outside. A budget-friendly roasted chicken dinner that is super flavorful and takes only a few minutes of prep!
Easy Roasted Chicken and Vegetables Sheet Pan Dinner
Crispy Baked Chicken Legs roasted on a single sheet pan together with potatoes, zucchini, bell peppers, and onions make a delicious and easy dinner that your whole family will enjoy! This recipe is always a hit in our house, I love that I can prep it quickly in just a few minutes and my family loves it because it tastes so comforting and delicious.
Making chicken legs in the oven is really easy! The thigh and drumstick meat is much more flavorful than chicken breasts but many people aren’t as familiar with cooking those cuts even so they’re the least expensive part of the chicken. Luckily, making crispy baked chicken thighs and drumsticks in the oven is super simple, especially if you read my tips and tricks for making the best baked chicken legs before starting to cook.
This easy one-pan chicken dinner recipe has quickly become one of my favorite weeknight dinners and I hope your family enjoys this simple recipe as much as my family does!
Tips and Tricks on how to bake chicken legs in the oven
- You can use your favorite potato variety for this recipe. Yukon Gold, Russet potatoes, and red potatoes all work.
- This recipe is very versatile and also works with other vegetables. Brussels sprouts, squash, or carrots would also make a great addition.
- Use a rimmed baking sheet and line it with foil for easier clean-up. This recipe produces a delicious sauce in the pan so you want to keep all the juices in.
- I use chicken legs for this recipe, but it also works with chicken thighs or chicken leg quarters. You don’t have to adjust the cooking time.
- Make sure to use quality meat! Whole chicken legs, also called thigh-drumstick-pieces, consist of drumstick and thigh and are the least expensive chicken cut so buying good quality is still super affordable.
- This recipe works best with bone-in and skin-on chicken legs. It results in the best flavor, but if you only have boneless, skinless cuts on hand, they work just fine as well. You might need to reduce the cooking time for about 10 minutes because they cook faster.
- If you want to use Chicken breasts you need to keep in mind that they tend to cook faster and get dry quickly when baked in the oven. They need only 20-25 minutes in the oven so you need to adjust the cooking time accordingly and cut the potatoes into smaller cubes so they cook through.
- Use an instant-read thermometer to check the chicken for doneness. It should reach an internal temperature of 165°F (73°C) to be safe to consume.
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels before brushing it with the marinade to get the best sear while they bake in the oven.
How long to bake chicken legs and chicken leg quarters
Baked chicken legs and baked chicken leg quarters take about 40 minutes in the oven until they are cooked through and crispy. You don’t need to turn them during the cooking time.
At what temperature to bake chicken legs
You want to bake chicken legs at 390°F (200°C) in the oven to ensure that they are crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. The chicken should reach an internal temperature of 165°F before being consumed. To test this, insert an instant-read thermometer into the thickest part of the chicken. If you don’t have a thermometer make sure that it is no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear.
What goes with baked chicken legs?
This recipe makes a complete meal but you can serve it with a fresh green salad and some bread to dip into the sauce on the side.
Looking for more easy Chicken Dinner Recipes?
- AirFryer Chicken Drumsticks
- Creamy Mushroom Chicken Pasta
- General Tso’s Chicken
- Instant Pot Lentil Soup with Vegetables and Chicken
Tools used for making chicken legs in the oven:
Sheet Pan: These are my favorite baking sheets!
Chef’s Knife: I love this knife. My husband bought it for my birthday a few years ago and it’s still sharp and cuts everything. This knife has a great size and will make slicing, dicing, and chopping so easy and effortless.
Thermometer: I love this Instant-Read thermometer! It’s cheap and perfect to check the temperature of things like a roast, turkey, chocolate or creme brulee. Everyone should have one of these in their kitchen!
WANT TO TRY THESE BAKED CHICKEN LEG QUARTERS?
PIN IT TO YOUR DINNER BOARD TO SAVE IT!
Follow Plated Cravings on Pinterest for more great recipes!
[social_warfare buttons=”Pinterest, Facebook”]
Baked Chicken Legs with Vegetables and Potatoes
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized cubes
- 1 large zucchini, cut into cubes
- 2 bell peppers, cut into cubes
- 1 medium yellow onion, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground rosemary
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 chicken legs, thigh-drumstick-pieces (about 2.5 lbs)
- Preheat oven to 390°F (200°C) and line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- In a large bowl combine potatoes, zucchini, peppers, and onion. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine garlic, olive oil, rosemary, black pepper, dried thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and salt.
- Brush the chicken legs with the marinade then add the remaining marinade to the bowl with the potatoes and vegetables and mix with a spatula until everything is evenly coated.
- Spread out the potatoes and vegetables on the baking sheet and place the chicken legs skin side up on top.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes until the chicken is golden brown and crispy and has reached an internal temperature of 165°F.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
If you’ve tried this or any other of my recipes, don’t forget to rate the recipe and to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you!