Lemon Puff Pastry Pockets are a perfect summer treat! Crispy caramelized puff pastry with a lemon & ricotta cheesecake filling.
I love lemon flavored things: lemon ice cream, lemon cookies, salmon with lemon slices on top, lemonade, and all the other treats with lemon one could think of. No wonder this week seems to have a little lemon theme.
On Monday, I showed you my lovely Lemon Pull-Apart Coffee Cake which has many layers filled with buttery lemon sugar and is topped with a yummy lemon glaze. But today I have a much quicker lemon treat for you!
It seems like I’m also addicted to puff pastry, last week I found not one but three rolls of puff pastry in my fridge which needed to be used in the same week. And I also had one pot of ricotta cheese in there, perfect to make some quick treats!
Ricotta is so versatile, you can make it sweet like in cheesecakes or you can make it savory like in a ricotta tomato sauce for pasta or lasagna. I love both combinations!
Puff Pastry is perfect for quick snacks!
The only thing you have to keep in mind is that it shouldn’t get too warm while working with it before baking or the butter between the layers will get soft and the pastry won’t crisp up while baking. So wait until your filling is ready before you take the dough out of the fridge.
To get the puff pastry even crispier and prevent the bottom of getting soggy I brushed it with egg wash – outside and inside. And I sprinkled sugar on top – I will tell you that was such a good idea! The sugar caramelized while baking and made these so tasty!
I made these on the same day as my Spinach & Ricotta Puff Pastry Parcels and so our dinner consisted of savory puff pastry treats as a main and sweet puff pastry treats as dessert. Such a balanced diet! :-)
These lemon treats make a perfect summer snack, in my opinion, they are easy to make, you can prepare them in advance and store them in the fridge until you are ready to bake them and they are easy to transport. Perfect for picnics or parties!
I hope you love them as much as I do. If you are a fellow lemon lover then I’m 1000% sure you will!
Lemon Puff Pastry Pockets
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 4 tbsp confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 box frozen puff pastry, thawed the refrigerator, 2 sheets
- 1 egg
- coarse sugar for garnish
- Make the filling: Mix ricotta cheese, confectioners' sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla extract together in a small bowl until combined and smooth. Set aside.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one pastry sheet. Use a pizza cutter and cut the sheet into 6 squares. Transfer the squares to the prepared baking sheet.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the squares with the egg wash. Spoon 1-2 tablespoons of the ricotta mixture onto one triangle of each square. Fold the empty triangle over the filling and line up the edges as best as you can. Crimp the edges with a fork to seal shut.
- Repeat this with the 2nd puff pastry sheet so you have a total of 12 pockets. Slice 2 slits in the tops for air vents and brush them with egg wash, then sprinkle coarse sugar on top. Chill the pockets in the fridge for 25 minutes or up to 1 day.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) during the last few minutes of chill time. Bake the pockets for 20-25 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown.