Marbled Orange Pound Cake
Marbled Orange Pound Cake is made from two different orange infused batters! This delicious cake has a lemon-flavored icing on top and tastes great with a cup of coffee.
This easy and moist Marbled Orange Pound Cake is made from scratch and ready to be baked in less than 20 minutes! Even if you’re a beginner you can make this simple cake recipe without a box mix.
Traditionally marble cake is made with vanilla and chocolate cake but in my recipe, the two batters are infused with orange juice and zest to give the marble cake a fruity twist. This cake is a bit more fluffy than my Homemade Starbucks Raspberry Swirl Pound Cake but they both are great cakes to have with a cup of coffee.
You could even have them for breakfast! A slice of cake with a nice hot cup of homemade caramel macchiato – that’s my favorite breakfast.
I love marble cake because it’s so easy to make and it looks like big effort. The lemon icing adds a bit of a sour taste to the fruity cake which I really love. If you love citrus flavored cakes you also have to try my Lemon Pull Apart Coffee Cake, it’s a bit more difficult than this one but tastes heavenly! But back to my marbled Orange Pound Cake.
In the printable recipe below I explain how to get the perfect marble swirl into your cake. There are a few different methods but I found this the easiest one. You could also try to make a chessboard pattern with the two batters in the loaf pan but I’m much more the layer and swirl kind of girl.
The light and dark batters are filled in layers into the loaf pan and spirally mixed with a fork. You can change the proportion of the batters to have a darker or lighter cake. But don’t swirl the cake too much or you will end up with a brownish cake.
To make this pound cake you need organic oranges. Most oranges are treated with wax or other things to make them more durable but for this cake, you need the zest of the oranges and you don’t want a bitter aftertaste.
Trust me it’s really easy to make a beautiful marbled cake!
Marbled Orange Pound Cake
- 2 organic Oranges
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate, finely chopped, 30g
- 2 cups All-purpose Flour, 250g
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 stick butter, 115g
- 1/2 cup sugar, 100g
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup icing sugar, 85g
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Rinse the oranges under hot water and let them dry off, then grate the zest from one and press out the juice from both.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat butter, sugar and a pinch of salt together until creamy (at least 8 minutes), then stir in one egg at time.
- Mix flour and baking powder together and add to the mixture together with 5 tbsp orange juice. Mix until well incorporated.
- Divide the batter evenly between two bowls. To one bowl add the orange zest and give it a good stir. To the other bowl add cocoa powder, chocolate, and 5 tbsp orange juice.
- Grease a loaf pan (8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2) and start with a layer of half of the light batter. Add a layer of dark batter, a layer of light batter and a layer of dark batter. Use a fork and mix the layers spirally two times.
- Bake the cake for 50 minutes (test with a skewer). After ten minutes cut the cake lengthwise with a knife.
- Let the cake rest in the loaf pan for ten minutes and then transfer it to a cooling rack. When the cake is completely cooled down, mix icing sugar with lemon juice until it has a good consistency and decorate your cake.