The best Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Gyros – made with my Greek Gyros spice mix! This easy recipe is perfect for Greek-Style Tacos or simple sandwiches with tzatziki.
As the weather gets warmer I’m trying to find ways to keep my kitchen cool. Using my slow cooker to make dinner is the perfect solution for hot days and it’s so easy to make tasty pulled pork.
There are so many pulled pork recipes out there but I have to say this one is my favorite! I love Mediterranean food and all those spices like oregano and rosemary. The Greek cuisine is definitely one of my favorite cuisines!
What would be better than combing those flavors and making some beautiful Greek-style Pulled Pork out of it! This recipe is also great for pulled Chicken.
This recipe is simply awesome and so easy to make! The pulled pork is garlicky, tender, and juicy. It tastes great hot and cold. Perfect to make a big batch and eat the leftovers over the next days to make dinner much easier.
I love cooking in my slow cooker! It makes making dinner so easy, I just toss everything together, set it and forget about it for a few hours. After a few hours have passed the meat is so tender and falls apart when you pierce it with a fork.
Last time I made this we had it two days in a row, it’s so good! And on the third day, we made the same recipe with chicken because we couldn’t get enough. Pulled Pork Gyros makes a great taco filling. We had it with homemade tzatziki sauce and Greek salsa.
My Tzatziki Sauce Recipe is refreshing and tangy. It’s made with whole fat greek yogurt, grated cucumber, and garlic. This authentic tzatziki tastes like in Greece. I love how easy it is to make, many times the most simple recipes are the best!
This pork gyro recipe is no exception! You just rub the meat with my (not so) secret spice mixture which is also great for vegetables, other meats, or to give salads a more Mediterranean flavor profile. Then you put it in your slow cooker and add orange juice, lemon juice, and apple cider. Top with minced garlic and cook on low for 8 to 9 hours.
So simple but so yummy!
When the meat is fork tender, shred it and mix with as much of the remaining liquid from the slow cooker as you like. Serve topped with tzatziki sauce and greek-style salsa on tacos or sandwiches. I like to serve mine on tacos as shown is the picture above.
Now I’m hungry, I could eat those tacos right now, they were so tasty :-)
Can’t you just picture yourself with a platter of those tacos and a cold drink on a nice summer day (perhaps even overlooking the ocean from your balcony on a Greek island :-) )?
This would also be delicious with pita bread and a Balsamic Chickpea Feta Greek Salad or my 20-minute Greek Couscous Salad! But don’t omit the tzatziki, it makes the tastiest food even tastier in my opinion!
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Gyros
- 3 1/2 lb boneless pork shoulder, 1.5 kg
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4-6 tbsp greek spice rub
For the greek spice rub:
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp ground rosemary
- 2 tsp ground coriander, cilantro
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 6 tsp dried oregano
- 4 tsp dried thyme
- 3 tsp salt
- 3 tsp ground black pepper
- 3 tsp paprika
- 3 tsp dried marjoram
- 2 tsp sugar
- Combine the greek spice rub ingredients. This recipe makes more than you'll need for this pulled pork recipe. Store the leftovers in an airtight container. You can use it for all kinds of meat, in salads, or to season vegetables.
- Trim any excess fat from pork shoulder if necessary. Rub the meat with 4-6 tbsp of the spice mixture and place it in a slow cooker. Top with minced garlic.
- In a small bowl, combine orange juice, lemon juice, and apple cider vinegar. Pour the mixture over the meat and cook on low for 8 to 9 hours (or on high for 5 hours).
- When the meat is fork tender and can be easily shredded take it out of the slow cooker and shred with two forks. Add as much as you like from the remaining liquid in the slow cooker to the shredded pork.
This Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Gyros is perfect for my Greek Tacos with homemade Tortillas!