Last updated on June 13th, 2017
Mini Apple Pies with Dulce de Leche – you only need 4 ingredients to make these perfect bites! The gooey, flavorful filling makes these toffee apple pies a family favorite.
These Mini Apple Pies taste as good as they’re cute! Serve them warm with some whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream and you have a perfect festive dessert.
These cute miniature pies are perfect when you want to serve different little treats and let your guests select their favorite. Serve them together with my Pear & Gorgonzola Mini-Tartlets, Bacon & Cheese Puff Pastry Twists, and my Lemon Puff Pastry Pockets for a great selection of sweet and savory treats.
You can use puff pastry or pie crust to make my Mini Apple Pies. Most of the time I use puff pastry because it’s easier to get here but it works well with both. You can also use homemade puff pastry or pie crust!
To make them you need to peel, core, and chop two apples into small pieces. You can use any apple of your choice, my favorites for baking are Gala, Jonagold, and Golden Delicious apples. My friend Mackenzie from Food above Gold wrote a great post about everything you need to know about buying and storing apples which is really helpful. You can find it here.
The apples are then placed in a pan with butter and a little bit of water. Let them cook for about 15 minutes until they are soft and the liquid has been absorbed. You do this because the apples wouldn’t get fully cooked during the short baking time if you use raw apples for the mini pies.
When the apples are soft, let them cool down for a few minutes then add the Dulce de Leche. Cut out circles of dough and line 6 muffin cups with it, fill the muffin cups with apple dulce de leche filling and top it with a smaller dough circle. Brush the Mini Apple Pies with water and sprinkle brown sugar on top.
After 30 minutes of baking, you’ll have a delicious treat!
Mini Apple Pies with Dulce de Leche
Mini Apple Pies with Dulce de Leche - you only need 4 ingredients to make these perfect bites! The gooey, flavorful filling makes these toffee apple pies a family favorite.
- 2 sheets puff pastry thawed (or 1 package pie crust)
- 2 apples
- 1/3 stick butter 35g
- 1/2 cup Dulce de Leche
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- Pee, core and roughly chop the apples.
- Place them in a pan with the butter and 2 tbsp of water. Cook over low heat for 15-20 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed and the apples are soft. Let cool slightly then stir in the Dulce de Leche.
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C) and grease a 6-hole muffin pan. Roll out the dough slightly and cut out six 5-inch (12cm) circles and six 2-inch (5 cm) circles. Press the large circles into the muffin cups and fill them with apple dulce de leche mixture. Top with small pastry circles and seal the brims with your fingers. Brush the tops with water and sprinkle brown sugar on top.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
- Let the Mini Apple Pies sit in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out and serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.